Interview w/ Laurie Pizzi from Knit Terrors



With the holiday season literally upon us (it's almost sad to think that Christmas has now started to eclipse Halloween AND Thanksgiving) the stores are filling with overpriced knicks and/or knacks for your family and friends. That's why this year at the clubhouse we'll be searching for something a little more special to stuff your stocking. Something such as Laurie Pizzi's Knit Terrors whose custom creations are certain to warm any horror fans still beating heart this winter. Laurie was kind enough to stop by and offer us some insight into the creation of her little minions as well as offer some tidbits of what's in store for the future of Knit Terrors.

Thanks for joining us, Laurie. Can I interest you in some zombie jerky or perhaps a tall glass of Tang?

Is it un-vegetarian for me to indulge in zombie jerky? Eh, I won't tell if you won't!

So how did your interest in knitting first develop?

A few years ago I decided it was something I wanted to learn. I got sick of finding scarves that in my opinion were way too short, so I asked my incredibly talented grandmother to teach me. That was about 5 or 6 years ago, and I haven’t stopped knitting since! My grandma’s amazing and I credit her with any sort of creativity I have. She’s one of my biggest cheerleaders.

Jason Voorhees from 'Friday the 13th'

What about horror, were you a monster kid growing up or did your fascination with the genre come about as you got older?

I was SUCH a big baby when it came to anything remotely scary! Hell, the Thriller video completely scarred me for a good chunk of my childhood. But, the genre eventually lured me in. I started watching all the late night horror movies on TV, then I would run as fast as I could upstairs to bed and not be able to sleep for the next hour. It wasn’t until several years ago that I really began to love the genre. 

What are some of your favorite horror movies?

My all time favorite is the original Halloween. I love the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Suspiria, The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, Rosemary’s Baby, Lizard In A Woman’s Skin, The Shining. I love 70’s horror more than anything.


You just had your first big showing and Rock & Shock earlier this month. Was that a food experience? Do you have any favorite memories from that event?

I met a lot of people that were just interested in talking to me about Knit Terrors and that was more exciting than anything. I can’t say I had any negative feedback or interactions there, so it was very exciting, and made me even more excited about doing this. A lot of people said they were happy to see stuff that isn't mass produced. 

Sam from 'Trick R Treat'

You've got quite an assortment of Knit Terrors already worked up, which one is your favorite so far?

Leatherface! I just think there’s something so amazing about a knit chainsaw. Plus, he’s so adorable!

How many dolls (or series) do you plan on doing?

I have a lot of horror nerd friends that keep suggesting dolls for me to do, so I have a gigantic list of things I want to try out. I might even attempt some limited edition stuff for the more intricate dolls.

Have you considered doing a series of original monster creations?

I have! I think it’d be fun. I don’t like limiting myself; I want to try to do everything!

Freddy Krueger from 'A Nightmare on Elm Street'

About how long does it take to make one of the dolls, from concept to completion?

It varies, but it takes at least 5 or 6 hours to initially figure out the pattern. It’s a lot of trial and error. Once the pattern’s done, to knit and stuff/stitch up a doll usually takes about 3 or 4 hours straight through. It’s a lot of labor, but I love it!


You make more than dolls, though, isn't that correct? What other types of things do you produce?

I’ve been knitting hats and scarves for years, so that is something I want to incorporate into Knit Terrors. I’ve just started working on gloves and I’m constantly trying to think of what to make next.

Leatherface from 'Texas Chainsaw Massacre'

As a woman interested in horror, have you found there to be certain stereotypes in the genre as a whole that you would like to dispel?

I'm just always amused when people act surprised after I tell them I'm into horror movies, or that I really love all the blood and gore. I just don't get why some people still find it surprising for a female to be into it.

What's the strangest thing you can remember doing as a kid?

I like to think I was a fairly normal kid, but my mom told me that I had an Exorcist moment when I was little. For some reason, I was obsessed with the name 'Sarah', I'd really wished that was my name. I guess one day, I was watching TV and my mom kept calling my name. I didn't respond, then I slowly turned my head and said "...my name is Sarah", and turned around and continued to watch TV.  My mom said it freaked her out pretty bad. I think it's amazing.

Where can people learn more about the Knit Terrors?

I’m working on getting the site up and functioning, at www.knit-terrors.com, but I’ve been using the Facebook page a bit as well.






5 comments:

  1. Wings1295 said...:

    AWESOME stuff! Wish I could knit, I would whip up my own horror collection. Cool stuff!

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    Laurie is SO incredibly talented and creative, I just had to share them here on the site. Be on the lookout for custom edition Strange Kid to be popping up here before long... :)

  1. ZomMommy said...:

    Yay Laurie!! I'm so proud to know you!!! We're going to kick ass at Monster Mania next year!

  1. Dex said...:

    That's awesome! I actually saw her at Rock N Shock and loved the little guys. If there was a Sam I would've scooped him up on the spot.
    Definitely be ordering one from her

  1. Zach S. said...:

    Great interview with a Great Talent! Those dolls are far too cute, now to grab a few to corrupt the youth...

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails