SDCC 2010: Trailer for Steve Niles 'Dark Days' Revealed!



I'll admit that I was pretty disappointed by the first adaptation of Steve Niles infinitely popular vampire franchise, 30 Days of Night (2007). The graphic novel is known by many to be one of the catalysts for the rebirth of horror in modern day comics. Not to mention that the story was authentically creepy and Niles portrayal of the blood-sucking freaks refreshingly unique. The film adaptation on the other hand, is a slow burn into a pile of soggy ashes that somehow just doesn't live up to its lofty premise.

The sequel to 30 Days of Night, subtitled Dark Days, was equally as creative yet sinisterly much more vicious than its predecessor. Picking up where the original left off, Dark Days follows the lone survivor, Stella, on her quest to get revenge on the vampire race by exposing them to the world. Of course, this attracts both allies (vampire hunters) and foes (Lilith) who is generally pissed off about being called attention to.

Thankfully, the cinematic sequel seems to echoes its comic counterpart's predilection towards action, also moving locales from a small town in Alaska to the big city of Los Angeles. For a direct-to-DVD release (via Sony Entertainment), Dark Days boasts a some quality special effects and promises to be a much faster-paced. I guess we'll have to wait until October 5 to see how honest this first glimpse is, but regardless Halloween is looking to be jam-packed full of gory goodness this year!





4 comments:

  1. Not sure I wanna see this...at all. The first one was awful. I guess I'm always going to be one of those Lost Boys snobs. Hmmmm. Guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    A completely agree, the first one was pretty disappointing. Seeing as how this one has a whole new cast and a seemingly darker storyline, though, I'm willing to withdraw judgement until October.

    Now if only they'd get wise and finally make Niles' Freaks of the Heartland I'd be much happier.

  1. Belle Dee said...:

    I have to say that I really liked the first one. A big part of that goes to Danny Huston, who I think is awesome! Not a great movie, but I enjoyed it for what it was. And I thought the vampires in it were actually pretty scary!

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    The vampires were definitely the best part for me as well. That's what I love about this next film, there seems to be more of an emphasis on them and their vicious nature.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails