A Tribute to Imagineering- Makers of Scar Stuff, Vampire Blood, and Evil Teeth



The Great Kid Make-up Company.

Although the Arizona-based Imagineering is a bit before my time as a monster kid I think all of us can attribute or fascination with fear in some respect to this legendary theatrical make-up company. I must offer a bit of thanks to the Retroist where I first found this fascinating short documentary on the history of the company and it's flagship products.

Whether it's a pair of fangs or some googly monster eyes, these are the kinds of props and gags that make Halloween such a cherished time for monster kids. You probably remember seeing similar items in the back of horror rags growing up, but Imagineering was undoubtedly an innovator in and industry that turned pasty-faced kids into ferocious monsters of their imagination.

Directed by Daniel Roebuck, himself a monster kid (check out the House of Horror section of his site), this short documentary offers a nostalgic glimpse into the story of the company's humble beginnings in owner Larry Liff's own words and the amazingly fun products that have become a staple of Halloween tradition ever since.

This article is part of the Countdown to Halloween blogathon, a month-long blogging marathon dedicated to honoring the Halloween season. For more information and a full list of participating sites, please visit www.countdowntohalloween.com.





4 comments:

  1. Shaun Mazerall said...:

    I desperately want to get a Vampire Kit for 19 cents now. I guess Vampire Blood learned that there is no such thing as bad publicity.

    http://thedevilsforest.blogspot.com/

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    @Shaun: Wouldn't that be awesome? Closest thing I can think of nowadays is something like Dollar Tree, but then you gotta ask yourself... do I really want to stick something sold at Dollar Tree in my mouth or on my skin?! ;)

  1. Anonymous said...:

    I do remember seeing Daniel Roebuck do various things, like participating in one of Bob Burns' Halloween shows and most recently in an episode of "Wizards of Waverly Place" as the merchants association president who is ticked off at the Russos delivering a not very scary haunted house for Halloween (Which sounds so fitting after seeing this)...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_XoAf_VGe4

    Of course, my understanding is that Imagineering was bought by Collegeville, then that was bought by Rubies, so it still technically exists. I would like to try out 'The Face' one of these days, although I have nothing planned that would require it for now...

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    @LaDracul: That so cool! I've never actually seen Roebuck in anything, but I've definitely heard his name mentioned here and there.

    So Imagineering is owned by Rubies now, huh? Man, it's been awhile since I've heard that name. Took a look at their site, though, and it seems they still have a few good make-up accessories. Thanks for the info!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails