Trailer Terrors: Highway to Hell (1992)



The cops on this road don't take you to jail... They take you to HELL.

Starring Kristy Swanson (the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Highway to Hell precedes Stephen King's Desperation (2006) as the seminal "road to hell" (seems Nevada is full of them) fright flick.

Though there's similarities between the two they essentially depart from one another when it comes to presentation. While Desperation is rather bleak and offers a tense swelling of supernatural horror, Highway to Hell offers a mix of average joe comedy with an imaginative use of prosthetic effects. The actors to well enough with the script they're given and the Hellcop (played y C.J. Graham) is actually one bad-ass motha, but in the end it amounts to a forgettable pop corn flick.

Now by forgettable I don't mean to say that its a bad film, there are in fact aspects of it that are really well done such as the concept to mix Robert Zemeckis' Back to the Future (1985) with Gary Nelson's Black Hole (1979) and creative scene design, its just not great. The upside is that Gilbert Gottfried makes a guest appearance as Hitler and Ben Stiller as Attila the Hun, so its not a total loss. Lesson learned? Stay out of Neveda, it only seems to lead one place... you know.





2 comments:

  1. HA HA! DUDE! I LOOOOOOOOOVED this movie when I was younger. It came on Cinemax one night (or maybe Showtime? HBO? Bah, I can't remember). Anyways, it was a helluva good movie to me then which makes me question just how enjoyable it might be to me now. I remember this one scene where this hot girl (maybe Swanson?) was heavily making out with the lead actor of the movie and all of a sudden turned into a demon mid face-suck. I was completely messed up after watching that scene and the lingering tingles of pre-arousal just felt...so....WRONG. Anyways, this is a great post! I'd love to see this movie again. Looks like I might be renting it on Netflix! Also, Head of the Family should be arriving soon. I'll let you know! Piranha 2 is amazing man; horrible but amazing. It's just so much fun to watch hyperactive, wriggling puppets flying around terrorizing people. There is so much T and A in that movie too dude, OH MY GOD it's just a tad over the top lol. Mr. Cameron needs to return to his funky buffet of cheese man, cause Piranha 2 ROCKED!

  1. Strange Kid said...:

    Glad to hear you're enjoying that Netflix! You'll have to hook us up for the next fright night for sure.

    Highway to Hell is definitely one of those films that you can never really forget, but isn't necessarily noteworthy either, know what I mean? For years I've been confusing it with King's Desperation and only recently did I learn that what I was in fact reminiscing about was Highway to Hell. Go figure.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails